I’ve always wanted to try making a homemade version of a pop-tart. Something that felt special and decadent, perfect for Christmas morning and special occasions. Well we did some experimenting, a lot of taste testing (the best part!), and ended up with these delicious strawberry pop-tarts. I warn you though, they are too easy to devour!!
We used the strawberries that I froze from our summer garden harvest, I love having a little stash in the freezer. We usually run out quickly though, so we savour every bite with treats like these. I get so excited every Spring because that means the strawberry plants are starting to come back to life for another season. It’s nice to be able to save some for these cold winter days.
Bonus! We made a second filling option, a Cinnamon Roll flavour that my husband thought would be delicious. He was absolutely right! It was so hard not to dip a spoon and just eat it right out of the jar. We were disappointed that we didn’t make more of the pop-tarts with the Cinnamon Roll filling. So… we drizzled the leftovers on top of the strawberry ones…. no judgment.
The dough comes together easily, but it is important that the butter and water are cold. If the dough gets too warm it will affect the texture and the way they bake. I just put my dough in the fridge for a few minutes while I clean up and prep for the next step. We made two variations, one with regular salted butter and the other with Vegan butter. They both turned out really well, but I did find the Vegan butter dough to be closer to that classic pop-tart texture. The regular salted butter was flakier for a more traditional pastry texture. Whichever way you go, I’m sure you won’t be disappointed!
Homemade Strawberry Pop-Tarts
- Strawberry Filling:
- 1 cup Frozen Strawberries
- ¼ cup Water
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp. Cornstarch + 1 tbsp. Water (mixed together)
- ¼ tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Cinnamon Roll Filling:
- ½ cup Packed Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Water
- ¼ cup Coconut Cream
- ¼ tsp. Cinnamon
- Pop-Tart Dough:
- 1 cup All Purpose White Flour
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 6 tbsp. Cold Butter (or 4 tbsp. Cold Vegan Butter)
- 4 tbsp. Ice Cold Water + more for sealing edges
- Optional: Unsweetened Original Almond Milk
- Vanilla Glaze:
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- ¼ tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 4-6 tbsp. Unsweetened Original Almond Milk (or water)
*We used Earth Balance Soy Free Buttery Spread for the Vegan Pop-Tart dough. So Fresh for the Almond Milk, and Simply Organic for the Vanilla Extract and Ground Cinnamon. Coconut Cream was Earth’s Choice Organic Extra Rich.
Strawberry Filling Instructions:
- Place the Frozen Strawberries, Water, and Sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and add in the Cornstarch + Water mixture while stirring constantly. Cook another 2-5mins until filling thickens. Be careful not to let burn.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Vanilla Extract. Let cool and transfer to dish to cool completely.
Cinnamon Roll Filling Instructions:
- Place Brown Sugar and Water in saucepan over medium heat for about 8-10mins. Swirl saucepan every minute or so while the sugar cooks down and thickens. DO NOT STIR and be careful not to let it burn (and not to burn yourself).
- Remove from heat once cooked down and bubbly, and add the Coconut Cream and Cinnamon while stirring.
- Place back on heat and simmer for another 3-5mins while stirring. Remove from heat and transfer to dish to cool completely. The filling will thicken more as it cools down.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl and mix together.
- Add in the butter and incorporate it using a couple forks, a pastry blender, or your hands. You want the dough to come to a crumble texture without overworking it or getting it too warm. Small chunks of butter throughout is okay.
- Add the ice cold water and mix until the dough comes together and forms a ball. (If the dough is too warm you can put it in the fridge for a few minutes.)
- Dust a large flat surface with some flour and start rolling the dough out to approximately ⅛ inch thick.
- Using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, trim the edges of the dough and cut into large strips. Reuse the extra dough to make more. Depending on how big you make your strips you should be able to get 4-6 pop-tarts.
- Making one at a time, brush the edges with a little water or Almond Milk. Add a dollop of filling to one side of the dough strip and away from edges. Fold the strip over to cover filling and quickly press down along the edges to seal and keep filling from oozing out during baking. Use a fork to crimp along the edges and to pierce the top. Repeat for remaining pop-tart dough strips.
- Place each pop-tart on a silicon mat, or parchment paper, lined pan. Optional: Brush the top of each with a little Almond Milk.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until the bottoms are a nice golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let sit on pan for another 8-10mins before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
Vanilla Glaze Instructions:
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together until smooth. Add more or less liquid to get the right consistency. You want the glaze to be on the thinner side.
- Place a pop-tart face down into the bowl of icing to get a nice even coat. Remove and let drip a bit before placing back on rack. If you have extra icing you can double-coat for more deliciousness. Let the glaze set and then devour!